Colostrum For Companion Animals
Bovine colostrum is a fantastic daily health supplement for companion animals, such as dogs and cats, of all ages. Colostrum contains more than 50 beneficial components to benefit dogs and cats of all ages!
In addition to the immunoglobulins there are other substances in colostrum that support normal immune function and promote growth and maturation of cell types. Collectively they have been termed “Immune Factors” and “Growth Factors”, and their function is to complement the various activities associated with immune response and support the body’s normal growth and development. The Immune Factors include:
- Lactoferrin which acts as an antioxidant by binding iron generated by oxidative stress.
- Lactalbumin which supports the metabolic activity of immune system cells and activates the production of important immune molecules such as interleukin-1
- Lactoperoxidase which supports normal bacterial populations within the body.
- Lysozyme which causes hydrolysis of the bacterial cell walls (which results in bacterial death). Lysozyme is an important first line of defense against bacterial infections at the mucus membranes.
Growth factors are very small bio-active molecules which promote growth and maturation of various cell types and tissues. They are found in very high concentrations in colostrum. They not only contribute to normal growth and development but also support the body’s normal repair process of aged or injured tissue. These growth factors include:
- IGF-1 which, as part of the growth hormone pathway, promotes healthy cell replacement and tissue growth.
- EGF which promotes normal restitution of the gastrointestinal tract, supports healthy hair coat, and optimizes normal absorption from the intestines.